By Published On: April 13th, 2016Categories: Professional Development

I took my own advice last week and attended a professional coaching conference to disrupt my routine and stimulate my mind. Through great speakers and inspiring conversations, I was saturated with thought-provoking information. One of which was a Gallop poll statistic stating that 87% of the workforce is disengaged.

Keep in mind that disengaged does not mean that we are not busy. We are plenty busy. Yet to be engaged means we are present, creative, connected-to- self, and active in the expression of our strengths and passions. It means that as individuals, and companies, we are challenging our fears, pushing through our boredom, side-stepping our distractions, and making the necessary changes to engage life and its opportunities more fully.

As the statistic continued to sink into my mind, I began to wonder to what percent I was engaged. I figured I was probably at about 30%. That means I’m leaving 70% of my potential on the table and whatever ripple effect that has on the world. Now that got my attention!

I came home from the conference, took my daughter to dinner, booked a trip to Thailand (I had been afraid to take), and donated coaching hours to a non-profit organization. Indeed, engagement feels a whole lot better than busy.

What percentage are you engaged?  And, how could you increase it?

One Comment

  1. natalie spiro April 13, 2016 at 4:46 PM

    This is brilliant Dawn. It so resonated with me and just your few words inspired me to move more into engagement, rather than busyness. I am in the business of immersing people right into a kinesthetic and engaging experience. they say we teach what we most need to learn.

    Thanks for the inspiration and reminder

Comments are closed.